Heimat is a Space in Time
VIFF at Home
Filmmaker Thomas Heise chronicles three generations in his family history through their letters, archives and official documents, and produces, among other things, a history of Germany that takes in two World Wars, the Holocaust, Nazism, Communism, and the fall of the Berlin Wall, all through a lens that is simultaneously intimate and distant, emotional and intellectual. This is a deep dive, but a movie you will long remember.
“A truly great epic; such is Heise's mastery that you find yourself on the verge of tears, laughing out loud and shaking your head in wonder.” - The Telegraph
“A masterpiece; an exceptional record of the persistence of history and memory in the current moment." - The Globe and Mail
"Mesmeric, persuasive and cumulatively powerful, as each piece of the puzzle falls into place." - Variety
To stream this film:
- Click the link below.
- Purchase your virtual ticket (you may need to register an account first).
- The film costs $10 (CAD) to stream - you have 72 hours to watch it.
- Please note that due to content protection, it may not be possible to 'screen mirror' some titles or connect to a television using HDMI. Please check the technical details of the film to make sure your device is supported (you can usually use AirPlay instead on iOS devices)
- Half of your on-demand screening fee will come back to VIFF.
- Thank you for supporting VIFF and enjoy the film!