Year-round, the luxurious Vancity Theatre at the Vancouver International Film Centre screens some of the best festival-style films from around the world. VIFF’s renowned programming team presents unique, relevant and entertaining films that might otherwise go unseen by Vancouver film-lovers.
Join our superb year-round volunteer core and take part in bringing a world of unique and often unseen films and filmed entertainment to cinema and theatre lovers both old and new.
The Vancity Theatre started its regular film programming in January 2006, and VIFF was founded in 1982. Over these years our organization has presented over 11,000 screenings of some 8000 different films to an audience of 3.2 million! In addition to being home to VIFF’s offices and the Vancity Theatre, the Vancouver International Film Centre – including its stunning atrium – is also available for private rental by individuals and organizations.
The main goal of VIFF and the Vancity Theatre is to show great films! We are not here to duplicate commercial movie theatres showing Hollywood studio movies, but to emphasize international, Canadian, independent, documentary, and art cinema. These are significant and important categories that might otherwise not find their deserved place on the big screen. We're here to provide the public and film community with an excellent facility for the appreciation of quality cinema and related art forms throughout the year. This is an extension of VIFF’s general mandate to encourage understanding of world cultures through the art of cinema and to foster the art of cinema.
Volunteer and be part of exceptional cinema the way it was meant to be seen.
Volunteer Value Statement
Volunteers are essential to the operation, and integral to the success of the Vancity Theatre at the Vancouver International Film Center. The Vancity Theatre at VIFC values the time, skill, experience, knowledge, and commitment contributed by our volunteers. We value volunteering as an opportunity for people to connect, engage and discover joint solutions through the sharing of an individual’s experience both outside and within VIFC. We are committed to offering our volunteers appropriate and meaningful responsibilities, suitable orientation and training, effective leadership, evaluation, and recognition. Volunteers are expected to perform their duties to the best of their abilities, and to be ambassadors of the Vancity Theatre at VIFC, sharing the experience and love of Film and the Performing Arts with all who attend screenings and events at the Vancity Theatre.
The Vancity Theatre at VIFC abides by all required Human Rights and Non-Discrimination legislation when selecting and assigning volunteers. No person will be denied the ability to volunteer for any reason or combination of reasons covered by said legislation.
Any person 19 and over can apply to be a volunteer (Due to BCLB regulations all volunteers must be 19 and over). Be sure to browse through our website and familiarize yourself with VIFF and our operations. Please review the following information before applying and then head over to our online Volunteer Application Form to create a volunteer account.
What we look for are Positive, dependable, outgoing, team-oriented volunteers capable of contributing four hours per week on an ongoing basis to staff our concession and special events. Applicants must be 19 years of age, and able to operate with minimal supervision. Experience with cash handling, food preparation & bar service would be an asset, as is holding current Serving It Right and Food Safe Certification.
Depending on a volunteer’s skill set, other opportunities within the VIFF/VIFC organization may also be available, so be sure to indicate all your skill sets on your application and online profile.
- All potential applicants must fill out a Volunteer Application form and go through a phone screening and in person interview before being accepted as Vancity Theatre volunteers.
- All information requested must be filled out fully and accurately to ensure placement.
- Volunteer applications are reviewed as they are received. Please be patient as we can receive a high volume of applications.
- Volunteer positions are filled based on work and life related skills and experience, as well as availability. Preference will be given to applicants with strong English skills, Customer Relations, as well as Food and Liquor Service experience. (Serving It Right/Food Safe is beneficial). We will go over this information and any other requirements during our screening process.
- Once accepted you will receive specific training and venue orientation before you will be scheduled for shifts.
- All Vancity Theatre volunteers must pass a two month probationary period before full volunteer benefits become available.
All Vancity Theatre at VIFC Volunteers are required to volunteer a minimum of 4 hours per week. Shift times and lengths will vary depending upon the Vancity Theatre screening and event calendar. All volunteers will, once accepted, be placed on a two month probationary period of training and development before receiving the full benefits of being a Vancity Theatre at VIFC volunteer.
Depending on a volunteer’s skill set, other opportunities within the VIFF/VIFC organization may also be available.
All Volunteers are expected to abide by the VIFF/VIFC Code of Conduct, Harassment Policy, and Code of Ethics provided with the Volunteer Handbook.
All Volunteers should expect to work hard, have fun and make friends!
As a front of house customer service volunteer for our theatre, you duties include:
Concession: Working with a team of volunteers you are responsible for helping with setup and clean up, assisting customers, handling cash, making popcorn and coffee and serving alcohol responsibly.
Door: Your duties include scanning hard tickets and tickets on smart phones; asking to see memberships, getting customers to fill out temporary memberships and exchanging them for yearly memberships; giving directions to the theatre, balcony, concession and bathroom; and answering questions like “what is the running time of the film?”, “why do I need a membership?” and “where is the closest bank machine?”.
Busy Shows: Our theatre is 170 seats so sellouts can happen quite easily. During busy shows, the theatre manager may need help counting empty seats and organizing lines.
Theatre clean up: Between shows, one to two members of the team need to sweep up popcorn spills and collect garbage and recycling in the theatre, including the balcony.
Special events: Our theatre gets rented out regularly and we often throw our own special events and parties. Shifts on these nights often require bussing glasses and dishes, running the dishwasher, drying and putting away glasses, and setting up and tearing down tables and linens.
In addition to joining the amazing Vancity Theatre at VIFC Team all volunteers who complete their regular weekly shifts can expect to receive:
- During your first two months of training you will receive 2 Film vouchers for each completed shift. These vouchers can be used for any of our regular screenings at the box office on the same day as the film. (Special Events, Advance screenings and Rentals are excluded)
- Once the probationary period of two months has been completed you will receive a pass for yourself and a guest good for all regular VIFC programmed films at the Vancity Theatre. (Special Events, Advance screenings and Rentals are excluded)
- Free popcorn during your shift.
- Entry to Exclusive VIFF/VIFC Volunteer Appreciation Events.
- Special offers, screenings and promotions exclusive to volunteers.
The Vancity Theatre at VIFC ensures a safe work environment for all volunteers, and staff. Fostering such an environment includes:
- respectful treatment of volunteers by staff members
- training and support from the Venue Manager and Volunteer Coordinator to ensure a safe and secure work experience
- compliance with provincial health and safety regulations; meeting all necessary legal requirements to protect its volunteers
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 604-685-0260 to speak with Brie Koniczek, your Vancity Theatre at VIFC Volunteer Coordinator!